Palomar Holdings, Inc. (“Palomar”) is the ultimate parent and insurance holding company of its operating subsidiaries. Palomar is an innovative insurer and managing general agency that focuses on the provision of specialty property insurance for residential and commercial clients. Palomar’s underwriting and analytical acumen allow it to concentrate on certain markets that it believes are underserved by other insurance companies, such as the markets for earthquake, wind, and flood insurance.
Palomar is currently seeking to fill the following position in its beautiful La Jolla office:
The Technical Accounting Manager will report to the VP, Accounting & Corporate Controller. The ideal candidate will have 5-7 years of relevant work experience (with a minimum of 4 years in public accounting) ready to make the transition to a high-growth publicly traded company. This individual will be responsible for interpreting accounting guidance, developing policies, assisting in accounting for acquisitions, preparation of technical accounting memos, and assigned monthly close responsibilities. As a growth-stage company, we are looking for someone that can work independently to identify issues and propose solutions, as well as mentor other accounting team members. A successful candidate will have strong leadership abilities and motivate the team in a deadline-driven environment.
- Interpreting accounting guidance, developing policies, and drafting related white papers
- Provide project management for acquisitions including:
- Coordination with valuation firms and auditors
- Preparation of acquisition memo for review by Controller
- Support the Assistant Controller in integrating the accounting operations of the acquired company
- Prepare technical accounting memos
- Assist with month end close duties, as assigned
- Assist with quarterly and year-end financial audit activities and the annual corporate financial controls audit
- Adhere to proper accounting methods, policies, and principles
- Train new employees
- Assist in efforts to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley (“SOX”) requirements
- Assist in special projects, ad hoc tasks and/or initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
Education Requirements/Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting & CPA required
- Strong technical accounting of US GAAP
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience researching and documenting the accounting treatment for complex accounting matters in a clear and concise manner
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and strategic thinking skills
- Ability to organize, self-prioritize, and be a self-starter in a fast-paced environment with demanding internal and external deadlines
- Ability to multi-task between monitored and performed assignments
- Strong interpersonal skills. Collaborative team player a must
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Public accounting experience
- SOX experience
- Experience with acquisitions preferred
- Insurance industry experience a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
Palomar offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes but is not limited to: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company-paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Company-Paid Long Term Disability benefits, Annual and Long-Term Financial Incentives, 401(k) Retirement Plan (with Company-paid Contributions), Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Professional Development Assistance, Paid Parking and more.
Palomar will consider reasonable accommodations to ensure a qualified applicant with a disability can be considered for the position. Palomar will also consider necessary modifications to the physical work environment, or to the way a job is usually performed, so an individual with a disability can perform the essential functions of the position. Additional accommodations will be considered that enable an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment like those that are enjoyed by other employees without disabilities.
Palomar is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement to all qualified individuals, regardless of race (including traits associated with race), color, creed, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, age, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, genetic information or characteristics, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other consideration or characteristic made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
At Palomar, we are committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of our employees, customers, partners, suppliers, and job candidates. We are actively monitoring the situation related to COVID-19 and are continuing to hire qualified candidates to better serve our customers. To ensure your safety as a job candidate and compliance with our COVID-19 protocols and recommendations/guidelines from the CDC, State and Local Health Officials, we may be relying on virtual interviewing and other digital communications. Our recruiting team is committed to providing the support you need throughout the hiring and onboarding process. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility during this time.