Palomar is a growing insurance provider that is building an extraordinary business around an exceptional team of employees. As a result, we are seeking both experienced professionals and recent college graduates who are up to the challenge of helping us build a unique brand in the insurance business. If you are looking to thrive in a dynamic work environment where your contributions will be recognized and rewarded, we would like to talk to you about joining our collaborative, energetic, and hard-working team.
We are currently seeking to fill the following position:
Job Title: Senior Software Engineer
Primary Location: La Jolla, CA, Mission Viejo, CA, Minneapolis, MN, or Remote
Schedule: Full Time
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer who will have a Leadership Role in the Development Team, while also working collaboratively with the QA, BA and Business Teams in developing Applications across the company’s Lines of Business. As part of the Leadership Role within the Development team they will also Lead Consulting/Offshore Development Teams.
Responsibilities and Essential Duties include but are not limited to:
· Responsible for Design & Technical leadership of full stack development – including designing of enterprise application, data and application framework models. Participate in functional, regression and UAT testing
· Perform feasibility analysis, scope projects and work with the Business and R&D teams to prioritize deliverables and negotiate product functionality
· Assess the risks of various solutions and prioritizes competing business demands
· Engage with the business to incorporate usability and user interface needs when designing systems
· Ensure best possible designs (performance, scalability) of full stack applications/solutions in-line with best practices, coding standards, guardrails, UI standards and Palomar’s standards
· Interact with Business SMEs, BA and QA Teams as required
· Perform code & alert log reviews to ensure application quality
· Ensure full stack and Pega application/solution is scalable & robust
· Independently architect the technical solution and lead the technical team during development & customization phases/ activities.
· Produce specifications and determine operational feasibility
· Integrate software components into a fully functional software system
· Develop software verification plans and quality assurance procedures
· Document and maintain software functionality
· Serve as a subject matter expert for full stack development
· Comply with project plans and industry standards
· Quality – Demonstrate accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail always; Look for ways to improve and promote quality; Apply feedback to improve performance; Monitor own work to ensure quality
· Technical Skills -Pursue training and development opportunities; Strive to continuously build knowledge and skills; Share expertise with others
· Initiative – Volunteer readily; Undertake self-development activities; Seek increased responsibilities and takes ownership of tasks at hand; Take independent actions and calculated risks; Look for and takes advantage of opportunities; Ask for and offers help when needed
· Innovation – Display original thinking and creativity; Meet challenges with resourcefulness; Generate suggestions for improving work; Develop innovative approaches and ideas; Present ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention
· Translate complex business requirement into functional technical requirements and implement those requirements as designed
Education Requirements/Professional Experience and Qualifications:
· 3 to 5 years of full stack development experience required
· Insurance or Financial Services experience preferred
· Willing to learn Pega platform (pega.com)
· Service creation and integration experience required
· GitHub, GitHub Flow, GitHub Actions experience preferred
· Knowledgeable in CI/CD processes and tools
· Experience in cloud platforms. Azure platform is a plus.
· Experience in React framework. Next.js experience is a plus.
· Apigee or any API management is a plus
· UX experience is a plus
· Demonstrated ability to communicate in both verbal and written communication
· Experience working with Agile and SCRUM/Kanban
· Strong problem solving, communication and analytical skills
· Proven ability to deliver quality results in a rigorous and dynamic business environment
· Perform code reviews and ensure compliance with application quality, coding, UI and Corporate standards, including review logs and performance tuning.
· Highly organized, detail oriented, self-motivated, and be a self-starter in a fast-paced environment with demanding internal and external deadlines
Compensation and Benefits:
Palomar offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes but is not limited to: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company-paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Company-Paid Long Term Disability benefits, Annual and Long-Term Financial Incentives, 401(k) Retirement Plan (with Company-paid Contributions), Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Professional Development Assistance, Paid Parking and more.
Palomar will consider reasonable accommodations to ensure a qualified applicant with a disability can be considered for the position. Palomar will also consider necessary modifications to the physical work environment, or to the way a job is usually performed, so an individual with a disability can perform the essential functions of the position. Additional accommodations will be considered that enable an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment like those that are enjoyed by other employees without disabilities.
Palomar is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement to all qualified individuals, regardless of race (including traits associated with race), color, creed, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, age, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, genetic information or characteristics, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other consideration or characteristic made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.