Palomar is a growing insurance provider that is building an extraordinary business around an exceptional team of employees. As a result, we are seeking both experienced professionals and recent college graduates who are up to the challenge of helping us build a unique brand in the insurance business. If you are looking to thrive in a dynamic work environment where your contributions will be recognized and rewarded, we would like to talk to you about joining our collaborative, energetic, and hard-working team.
We are currently seeking to fill the following position:
Job Title: Reinsurance Accounting Analyst
Primary Location: Remote or La Jolla, CA
Schedule: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Reinsurance Accounting Analyst will report to the VP, Statutory Reporting & Reinsurance and is responsible for leveraging existing knowledge of reinsurance to ensure timely, accurate accounting and reporting that complies with NAIC statutory guidance and GAAP accounting principles and regulations. This position will support in the application of reinsurance agreements, settlement process, internal controls, and implement process improvements.
Responsibilities and Essential Duties include but are not limited to:
- Work closely with cross functional departments to ensure reinsurance agreements are properly recorded using USGAAP and NAIC guidance
- Perform monthly and or quarterly closing procedures related to accounting for the reinsurance transactions, reconciliations, and analyses
- Compile and analyze monthly and quarterly financial information from other departments to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Prepare external reinsurance reporting and disclosures within USGAAP and NAIC financial statements
- Maintain effective internal controls, support internal and external audits, and regulatory examinations
- Maintain proper documentation and data to be communicated and utilized for financial reporting
- Act as one of the points of contact for reinsurance intermediaries and reinsurers
- Responsible for appropriate and timely analysis, processing, billing, and collection
- Support initiatives and provide insight gained from experience
- Become a reinsurance agreement subject matter expert
- Provide timely and accurate financial reporting services to senior management and other cross functional leaders
- Develop and maintain standardized reinsurance reports required for monitoring results
- Develop and implement standard reinsurance accounting models
- Drive process improvements and automation efforts
Attributes and abilities of a successful candidate:
- Ability to research and analyze results, trends, data and draw conclusions.
- Ability to present findings and solutions to senior leadership in a succinct and understandable fashion.
- Comfort with change and ambiguity; our business is predicated on being adaptable and moving quickly to seize opportunities.
- Ability to provide quality work on tight deadlines requiring additional hours at times
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and thrive in a fast-paced, high demand work environment
- Solution-oriented approach and positive attitude; when issues arise, and processes need improvement.
- Must be very organized, hands-on, innovative, and possess a high level of initiative.
- Strong communication skills, work ethic and high-level of personal integrity and accountability.
- Poses critical thinking and ability to adhere to internal and external deadlines
- Willingness to travel between 5 – 10%
Education Requirements/Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field or the equivalent education and/or experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation, preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in the insurance industry with a reinsurance focus, preferably with a P&C carrier.
- Advanced proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office package (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word)
- Property and casualty reinsurance accounting experience, preferred.
- Knowledge of current principles and practices of reinsurance claim and accounting functions.
- Experience working with reinsurance intermediaries and settling reinsurance transactions, preferred.
CCPA Job Applicant Notice: https://plmr.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/PLMR-CCPA-Job-Applicant-Notice.pdf
Palomar will consider reasonable accommodations to ensure a qualified applicant with a disability can be considered for the position. Palomar will also consider necessary modifications to the physical work environment, or to the way a job is usually performed, so an individual with a disability can perform the essential functions of the position. Additional accommodations will be considered that enable an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment like those that are enjoyed by other employees without disabilities.
Compensation and Benefits:
Palomar offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes but is not limited to: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company-paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Company-Paid Long Term Disability benefits, Annual and Long-Term Financial Incentives, 401(k) Retirement Plan (with Company-paid Contributions), Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Professional Development Assistance, Paid Parking and more.
At Palomar, we are committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of our employees, customers, partners, suppliers, and job candidates. We are actively monitoring the situation related to COVID-19 and are continuing to hire qualified candidates to better serve our customers. To ensure your safety as a job candidate and compliance with our COVID-19 protocols and recommendations/guidelines from the CDC, State and Local Health Officials, we may be relying on virtual interviewing and other digital communications. Our recruiting team is committed to providing the support you need throughout the hiring and onboarding process. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility during this time.
For more information about our company, visit us at www.palomarspecialty.com. No phone calls or agency solicitation please. Palomar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.