We are Hiring! Reinsurance Accounting Analyst
Location: Remote or La Jolla, CA (Hybrid)
Why choose Palomar?
Palomar is a rapidly growing and innovative insurer focused on providing specialty insurance to residential and commercial customers. Palomar welcomes the best and brightest to our thriving team. Guided by an entrepreneurial spirit, Palomar is building a dynamic and diverse team.
Join a company built on a culture of agility, innovation and authenticity that delivers peace of mind and protection to individuals and businesses impacted by adversity.
Want to learn more about our exciting journey? https://ir.plmr.com/corporate-profile/default.aspx
Leverage Exiting Knowledge: The Reinsurance Accounting Analyst will report to the VP, Statutory Reporting & Reinsurance and is responsible for leveraging existing knowledge of reinsurance to ensure timely, accurate accounting and reporting that complies with NAIC statutory guidance and GAAP accounting principles and regulations.
Process Improvement and Ownership: This position will support in the application of reinsurance agreements, settlement process, internal controls, and implement process improvements.
What will you do?:
- Work closely with cross functional departments to ensure reinsurance agreements are properly recorded using USGAAP and NAIC guidance
- Perform monthly and or quarterly closing procedures related to accounting for the reinsurance transactions, reconciliations, and analyses
- Compile and analyze monthly and quarterly financial information from other departments to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Prepare external reinsurance reporting and disclosures within USGAAP and NAIC financial statements
- Maintain effective internal controls, support internal and external audits, and regulatory examinations
- Maintain proper documentation and data to be communicated and utilized for financial reporting
- Act as one of the points of contact for reinsurance intermediaries and reinsurers
- Responsible for appropriate and timely analysis, processing, billing, and collection
- Support initiatives and provide insight gained from experience
- Become a reinsurance agreement subject matter expert
- Provide timely and accurate financial reporting services to senior management and other cross functional leaders
- Develop and maintain standardized reinsurance reports required for monitoring results
- Develop and implement standard reinsurance accounting models
- Drive process improvements and automation efforts
What you enjoy:
- Ability to research and analyze results, trends, data and draw conclusions.
- Ability to present findings and solutions to senior leadership in a succinct and understandable fashion.
- Comfort with change and ambiguity; our business is predicated on being adaptable and moving quickly to seize opportunities.
- Ability to provide quality work on tight deadlines requiring additional hours at times
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and thrive in a fast-paced, high demand work environment
- Solution-oriented approach and positive attitude; when issues arise, and processes need improvement.
- Must be very organized, hands-on, innovative, and possess a high level of initiative.
- Strong communication skills, work ethic and high-level of personal integrity and accountability.
- Poses critical thinking and ability to adhere to internal and external deadlines
- Willingness to travel between 5 – 10%
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field or the equivalent education and/or experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation, preferred.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in the insurance industry with a reinsurance focus, preferably with a P&C carrier.
- Advanced proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office package (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word)
- Property and casualty reinsurance accounting experience, preferred.
- Knowledge of current principles and practices of reinsurance claim and accounting functions.
- Experience working with reinsurance intermediaries and settling reinsurance transactions, preferred.
We love people who want to:
- Build strong relationships through transparency, trust, and respect for each other.
- Work in an agile environment, with a resilient mindset to find creative solutions to challenges.
- Collaborate and celebrate diverse perspectives, promoting inclusivity and equality.
- Do the right thing with strong conviction and integrity.
- Be bold and innovative to help make an impact.
If you thrive in a dynamic environment, and like working with happy, authentic, talented people, you’ll enjoy a career with Palomar!
What will you get in return?
- Full Suite of Medical Benefits
- Long Term Financial Incentives – STOCK!
- 401k with 3% automatic Employer Contributions
- Competitive PTO + Holiday Program
- Hybrid Work Environment
- Work From Home Stipend
- Professional Development Assistance
- Headspace Paid Subscription
- Career Exploration Opportunities
- Regular company-wide social events (even virtually!)
- To learn more visit us at www.plmr.com
Diversity at Palomar
At Palomar, we are committed to diversity, equality and inclusion in all facets of the organization. We have built an open culture that celebrates the diversity of our workforce, while actively championing equality and inclusion practices that make us a company people want to work with and work for.
We believe that diversity, equality and inclusion yields greater organizational creativity and productivity, which helps us serve our customers and partners more effectively. Delivering on our diversity commitment returns greater value to our shareholders and ultimately makes a positive impact to the communities in which we do business and to the people who live in them
#PalomarPride #Insurancejobs #hiring #startup
Palomar will consider reasonable accommodations to ensure a qualified applicant with a disability can be considered for the position. Palomar will also consider necessary modifications to the physical work environment, or to the way a job is usually performed, so an individual with a disability can perform the essential functions of the position. Additional accommodations will be considered that enable an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment like those that are enjoyed by other employees without disabilities.
For more information about our company, visit us at www.plmr.com. Palomar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls or agency solicitation please
CCPA Job Applicant: https://plmr.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/PLMR-CCPA-Job-Applicant-Notice.pdf