We are Hiring! Product Manager – Insurance Lines
Location: La Jolla, CA, or Remote
Why choose Palomar?
Palomar is a rapidly growing and innovative insurer focused on providing specialty insurance to residential and commercial customers. Palomar welcomes the best and brightest to our thriving team. Guided by an entrepreneurial spirit, Palomar is building a dynamic and diverse team.
Join a company built on a culture of agility, innovation and authenticity that delivers peace of mind and protection to individuals and businesses impacted by adversity.
Want to learn more about our exciting journey? Click here to learn more.
The Product Manager is responsible for overseeing the bottom-line profit and loss for the assigned product lines in conjunction with other key stakeholders. The Product Manager develops action plans and strategic direction for functional areas and maintains alignment with peer Product Managers to ensure the successful development of the entire product line. You will actively participate in the analysis, maintenance, implementation, and development of products and programs, including pricing, procedures, research, and underwriting to support Product Management leadership with continued development of profitable growth.
Develop New and Manage Existing Products: Work closely with key stakeholders to support growth and profitability through the entire product lifecycle.
What will you do:
- Analyze, evaluate, and develop recommendations and conclusions to influence profitability for multiple products across various lines of business in multiple states
- Design and execute monitoring plans for new products and changes to existing products
- Ensure overall goals for production and underwriting profitability are met by analyzing key metrics such as sales conversion rates, average premiums, loss experience, and retention
- Initiate product strategies based on analysis of data with input from internal stakeholders, i.e. Actuarial, Claims, Marketing, Underwriting, etc.
- Understand the property and casualty insurance industry landscape, market trends, and customer and business need to synthesize insights into key product improvements and deliverables
- Work closely with Business Analysts to ensure proper execution of business requirements for assigned product lines, including new product launches, rate changes, and product enhancements
- May develop, mentor or directly manage Product Analysts
- Demonstrate accuracy, thoroughness, and attention to detail at all times; look for ways to improve and promote quality; apply feedback to improve performance; monitor own work to ensure quality.
- Pursue training and development opportunities; strive to continuously build knowledge and skills; share expertise with others.
- Volunteer readily and undertake self-development activities; seek increased responsibilities and take ownership of tasks at hand; take independent actions and calculated risks; take advantage of opportunities but asks for and offers help when needed.
- Display original thinking and creativity while meeting challenges with resourcefulness; generate suggestions for improving work; develop innovative approaches and ideas; present ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Actuarial Science, Business Management, Economics, Finance, Mathematics, or another analytics related field
- 7 plus years of relevant professional experience including previous working experience as a Product Manager
- Property and casualty insurance experience highly preferred with a focus on catastrophe product solutions
- Strong understanding of regulatory filings and actuarial pricing/ratemaking techniques
- Solid understanding of product rates, rules and forms
- Strong problem solving, communication, and analytical skills
- Outstanding written/verbal communication, presentation, and leadership skills
- Highly organized, detail oriented, self-motivated, and be a self-starter in a fast-paced environment with demanding internal and external deadlines
- Excellent time management skills, with strong ability to juggle multiple priorities
- Proven ability to deliver quality results in a rigorous and dynamic business environment.
- Proficient in MS Office, particularly in Excel (pivot tables, vlookup, formulas, queries) preferred
- SQL or other programming experience with databases preferred
- Prior experience managing direct support staff preferred
We love people who want to:
- Build strong relationships through transparency, trust, and respect for each other.
- Work in an agile environment, with a resilient mindset to find creative solutions to challenges.
- Collaborate and celebrates diverse perspectives, promoting inclusivity and equality.
- Do the right thing with strong conviction and integrity.
- Be bold and innovative to help make an impact.
- Demonstrable track record of working autonomously and driving progress
- Be intellectually curious, think creatively, and pragmatic
If you thrive in a dynamic environment, and like working with happy, authentic, talented people, you’ll enjoy a career with Palomar!
What will you get in return?
- Full Suite of Medical Benefits
- Long Term Financial Incentives – STOCK!
- 401k with 3% automatic Employer Contributions
- Competitive PTO + Holiday Program
- Hybrid Work Environment
- Work From Home Stipend
- Professional Development Assistance
- Headspace Paid Subscription
- Career Exploration Opportunities
- Regular company-wide social events (even virtually!)
- To learn more visit us at www.plmr.com
Diversity at Palomar
At Palomar, we are committed to diversity, equality and inclusion in all facets of the organization. We have built an open culture that celebrates the diversity of our workforce, while actively championing equality and inclusion practices that make us a company people want to work with and work for.
We believe that diversity, equality and inclusion yields greater organizational creativity and productivity, which helps us serve our customers and partners more effectively. Delivering on our diversity commitment returns greater value to our shareholders and ultimately makes a positive impact to the communities in which we do business and to the people who live in them
#PalomarPride #Insurancejobs #hiring #startup #ProductManager
Palomar will consider reasonable accommodations to ensure a qualified applicant with a disability can be considered for the position. Palomar will also consider necessary modifications to the physical work environment, or to the way a job is usually performed, so an individual with a disability can perform the essential functions of the position. Additional accommodations will be considered that enable an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment like those that are enjoyed by other employees without disabilities.
For more information about our company, visit us at www.plmr.com. Palomar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls or agency solicitation please
Pay Range: $95,0000 – $150,000
The above pay range is for all US-based roles based on function and level, benchmarked against companies of similar size and scope. To be compliant with local legislation as well as provide greater transparency to candidates, we disclose salary ranges on all job postings regardless of the desired job location. We also offer a competitive annual discretionary bonus program and the opportunity for annual long-term incentive stock grants. In addition, we offer a highly competitive benefits package. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and qualifications, and may vary from the amounts listed above.