We are Hiring! Manager, Reinsurance Accounting
Location: La Jolla, CA
Why choose Palomar?
Palomar is a rapidly growing and innovative insurer focused on providing specialty insurance to residential and commercial customers. Palomar welcomes the best and brightest to our thriving team. Guided by an entrepreneurial spirit, Palomar is building a dynamic and diverse team.
Join a company built on a culture of agility, innovation and authenticity that delivers peace of mind and protection to individuals and businesses impacted by adversity.
Want to learn more about our exciting journey? https://ir.plmr.com/corporate-profile/default.aspx
We are seeking a Manager, Reinsurance Accounting to ensure timely, accurate accounting and reporting that complies with NAIC statutory guidance and GAAP accounting principles and regulations. This position will lead the application of reinsurance agreements, the settlement process, internal controls, and implement process improvements. We are looking for someone who is both able to lead the Reinsurance Accounting team and roll up their sleeves and contribute individually.
What will you do?:
- Work closely with cross functional departments to ensure reinsurance agreements are properly recorded using USGAAP and NAIC guidance
- Perform monthly and or quarterly closing procedures related to accounting for the reinsurance transactions, reconciliations, and analyses
- Perform technical accounting research related to reinsurance (GAAP and STAT), document and present findings to key decision makers
- Implement new and changing reinsurance terms and agreements
- Review and analyze monthly and quarterly financial information from other departments to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Review external reinsurance reporting and disclosures within USGAAP and NAIC financial statements
- Maintain effective internal controls, support internal and external audits, and regulatory examinations
- Maintain proper documentation and data to be communicated and utilized for financial reporting
- Act as the point of contact for reinsurance intermediaries and reinsurers
- Lead team to ensure appropriate and timely analysis, processing, billing, and collection
- Lead initiatives, provide oversight, and manage communications
- Become a reinsurance agreement subject matter expert
- Provide timely and accurate financial reporting services to senior management and other cross functional leaders
- Develop and maintain standardized reinsurance reports required for monitoring results
- Develop and implement standard reinsurance accounting models
- Drive process improvements and automation efforts
- Develop and maintain efficient reinsurance operations by developing workflows and schedules
- Compile and communication reinsurance term sheet for proper and consistent application
- Lead operational improvement as the reinsurance operations data SME
- Lead in operational modernization initiatives (systems, processes, projects, etc.)
- Develop staff by managing performance, setting goals, providing ongoing training, and maintaining strong employee relationships
- Recruit and train new team members
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field or the equivalent education and/or experience
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in the insurance industry with a reinsurance focus, preferably with a P&C carrier
- 3+ years supervisory experience in similar role
- Advanced proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office package (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word)
- Experience interpreting and analyzing the application of reinsurance treaties
- Property and casualty reinsurance accounting experience
- Knowledge of current principles and practices of reinsurance claim and accounting functions
- Experience working with reinsurance intermediaries and settling reinsurance transactions
- Ability to research and analyze results, trends, data and draw conclusions.
- Ability to present findings and solutions to senior leadership in a succinct and understandable fashion.
- Comfort with change and ambiguity; our business is predicated on being adaptable and moving quickly to seize opportunities.
- Ability to design, implement, and document operational efficient process
- Ability to provide quality work on tight deadlines requiring additional hours at times
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and thrive in a fast-paced, high demand work environment
- Solution-oriented approach and positive attitude; when issues arise, and processes need improvement
- Someone who is well-organized, hands-on, innovative, and possesses a high level of initiative
- Strong communication skills, work ethic and a high-level of personal integrity and accountability
- Someone who possesses critical thinking and an ability to adhere to internal and external deadlines
- Willingness to travel between 5 – 10%
We love people who want to:
- Build strong relationships through transparency, trust, and respect for each other
- Work in an agile environment with a resilient mindset to find creative solutions to challenges
- Collaborate and celebrate diverse perspectives promoting inclusivity and equality
- Do the right thing with strong conviction and integrity
- Be bold and innovative to help make an impact
- Lead with empathy and support personal and professional development
- Empower people to continue to grow and see a bigger picture
- If you thrive in a dynamic environment, and like working with happy, authentic, talented people, you’ll enjoy a career with Palomar!
What will you get in return?
- Full Suite of Medical Benefits?
- Long Term Financial Incentives – STOCK!?
- 401k with 3% automatic Employer Contributions?
- Competitive PTO + Holiday Program
- Hybrid Work Environment?
- Work From Home Stipend
- Professional Development Assistance??
- Headspace Paid Subscription
- Career Exploration Opportunities
- Regular company-wide social events (even virtually!)
- To learn more visit us at www.plmr.com
Diversity at Palomar
At Palomar, we are committed to diversity, equality and inclusion in all facets of the organization. We have built an open culture that celebrates the diversity of our workforce, while actively championing equality and inclusion practices that make us a company people want to work with and work for.
We believe that diversity, equality and inclusion yields greater organizational creativity and productivity, which helps us serve our customers and partners more effectively. Delivering on our diversity commitment returns greater value to our shareholders and ultimately makes a positive impact to the communities in which we do business and to the people who live in them
#PalomarPride #Insurancejobs #hiring #Reinsurance Accounting
Palomar will consider reasonable accommodations to ensure a qualified applicant with a disability can be considered for the position. Palomar will also consider necessary modifications to the physical work environment, or to the way a job is usually performed, so an individual with a disability can perform the essential functions of the position. Additional accommodations will be considered that enable an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment like those that are enjoyed by other employees without disabilities.
For more information about our company, visit us at www.plmr.com. Palomar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls or agency solicitation please
CCPA Job Applicant: chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://plmr.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/PLMR-CCPA-Job-Applicant-Notice.pdf