Palomar is a growing insurance provider that is building an extraordinary business around an exceptional team of employees. As a result, we are seeking both experienced professionals and recent college graduates who are up to the challenge of helping us build a unique brand in the insurance business. If you are looking to thrive in a dynamic work environment where your contributions will be recognized and rewarded, we would like to talk to you about joining our collaborative, energetic, and hard-working team.
We are currently seeking to fill the following position:
Job Title: Lead Data Architect
Primary Location: La Jolla, CA, Minneapolis, MN,
Schedule: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
We are seeking a Lead Data Architect who will report to the Director of Development. This is a Technical Leadership role, leading the technical resources on the Data Platform Team, which includes data engineering, modeling and BI. We are seeking a candidate who has a proven track record of technical leadership and working collaboratively with Quality Assurance, Business Analysts and Business Teams in building a world class data platform
Responsibilities and Essential Duties include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for Architecture, Design & Technical leadership of the Cloud Data Platform
- Maintain and evolve the overall data architecture, data pipelines and automation
- Improve existing data models ensuring availability, governance and quality while implementing new business capabilities and integration points with other engineering teams
- Perform dimensional data modeling to support data warehouse design and ETL development
- Provide technical recommendations and engage with ETL/BI Architects, Business SMEs, and other stakeholders throughout the Solution/Data Architecture and implementation lifecycle and recommend effective solutions to develop high performance and highly scalable data solutions (data marts/warehouse and data mining and advanced analytics)
- Create strategies and plans for data capacity planning, data security, life cycle data management, scalability, backup, disaster recovery, business continuity, and archiving
- Perform feasibility analysis, scope projects and work with the Business and R&D teams to prioritize deliverables and negotiate functionality
- Assess the risks of various solutions and prioritizes competing business demands
- Ensure best possible designs (performance, scalability) of data platform in-line with best practices and standards
- Interact with Business SMEs, BA and QA Teams as required
- Perform code & log reviews to ensure platform quality
- Produce specifications and determine operational feasibility
- Serve as a subject matter expert for the cloud data platform
- Comply with project plans and industry standards
- Quality – Demonstrate accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail always; Look for ways to improve and promote quality; Apply feedback to improve performance; Monitor own work to ensure quality
- Technical Skills -Pursue training and development opportunities; Strive to continuously build knowledge and skills; Share expertise with others
- Initiative – Volunteer readily; Undertake self-development activities; Seek increased responsibilities and takes ownership of tasks at hand; Take independent actions and calculated risks; Look for and takes advantage of opportunities; Ask for and offers help when needed
- Innovation – Display original thinking and creativity; Meet challenges with resourcefulness; Generate suggestions for improving work; Develop innovative approaches and ideas; Present ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention
- Translate complex business requirement into functional technical requirements and implement those requirements as designed
Education Requirements/Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or relevant experience
- 3 to 5 years of working in a major cloud data platform (Azure, AWS, Google)
- Experience with managing data platforms using automation (IaC and CI/CD) using tools such as such as ARM templates, Terraform/Terragrunt, Azure DevOps, Jenkins or ArgoCD
- Expertise in Data Quality, Data Profiling, Data Governance, Data Security, Metadata Management, MDM, Data Archival and Data Migration strategies using appropriate tools
- Experience with Azure Data Lake, Data Factory, SQL Server, Synapse, Analysis Services, Power BI, preferred
- Insurance or Financial Services experience preferred
- Knowledge of Insurance industry data models standards (ACORD/IAA), core Insurance systems data models (Guidewire, Duck Creek, Mastek, etc.), 3rd Party Data Providers (Verisk, Corelogic, etc.) preferred
- GitHub, GitHub Flow, GitHub Actions experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in both verbal and written communication
- Experience working with Agile and SCRUM/Kanban
- Strong problem solving, communication and analytical skills
- Proven ability to deliver quality results in a rigorous and dynamic business environment
- Perform code reviews and ensure compliance with application quality, coding, UI and Corporate standards, including review logs and performance tuning.
- Highly organized, detail oriented, self-motivated, and be a self-starter in a fast-paced environment with demanding internal and external deadlines
Compensation and Benefits:
Palomar offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes but is not limited to: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company-paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Company-Paid Long Term Disability benefits, Annual and Long-Term Financial Incentives, 401(k) Retirement Plan (with Company-paid Contributions), Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Professional Development Assistance, Paid Parking and more.
CCPA Job Applicant Notice: https://plmr.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/PLMR-CCPA-Job-Applicant-Notice.pdf
Palomar will consider reasonable accommodations to ensure a qualified applicant with a disability can be considered for the position. Palomar will also consider necessary modifications to the physical work environment, or to the way a job is usually performed, so an individual with a disability can perform the essential functions of the position. Additional accommodations will be considered that enable an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment like those that are enjoyed by other employees without disabilities.
Palomar is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement to all qualified individuals, regardless of race (including traits associated with race), color, creed, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, age, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, genetic information or characteristics, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other consideration or characteristic made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
Disclaimer: This job description is designed to provide a general overview of the requirements of the job and does not entail a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities that will be required in this position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.