Why choose Palomar?
Palomar is a rapidly growing and innovative insurer focused on providing specialty insurance to residential and commercial customers. Palomar welcomes thoughtful self-motivated individuals to our thriving company. Guided by an entrepreneurial spirit, Palomar is building a dynamic and diverse team.
Join a company built on a culture of agility, innovation and authenticity that delivers peace of mind and protection to individuals and businesses impacted by adversity.
Want to learn more about our exciting journey? Go to PLMR.com to learn more.
The Junior Staff Accountant reports to the Accounting Manager and is responsible for a variety of accounting functions such as performing accurate and timely Monthly Journal Entry Preparation, General Ledger Account Reconciliation and Schedule Maintenance, Bank Reconciliations, Audits and Reporting. The ability to generate reports by from multiple systems, consolidating, and analyzing the data is required. Critical thinking and adherence to internal deadlines as well as state required deadlines is a must.
What will you do:
- Performs accurate and timely Monthly Journal Entry preparation and monthly premium reconciliation process for financial reporting
- General Ledger Account Reconciliations and Schedule Maintenance
- Maintain Bank Reconciliations
- Process and distribute commissions statements
- Preparation and maintenance of Carrier Premium Bordereaux and Surplus Lines Tax Reporting
- Assist with audit preparation and requests
- Assists Accounting Manager with tasks or projects.
- Research and analyze financial discrepancies as a result of premium reconciliation process and report appropriate corrective action
- Standardize and document the most efficient reconciliation process
- Maintains accurate and organized electronic files with supporting documents
- Ensures data integrity by maintaining appropriate controls for audit verification
- Monitors, ages in the monthly premium reconciliation process for financial reporting
- Keeps updated with the latest methodologies, procedures, and client-specific information
- Coordinates premium reconciliation on a monthly basis to meet contractual or other specified deadlines
- Interfaces with internal staff to resolve system issues affecting premium reconciliation process and deadlines
- Other duties as assigned
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent preferred
- 2 to 3 years of related work experience
- Attention to detail, producing accurate and high-quality work
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and be able to thrive in a fast-paced, high demand work environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be able to manipulate and create Excel spreadsheets; including standardizing reports, utilizing formulas to generate desired results (Intermediate to Advanced level Microsoft Excel 2007+ skills)
- Ability to comply with operating policies, procedures and rules is essential
- Must be able to use discretion and handle sensitive/confidential information
- Must be able to maintain regular and predictable attendance; the ability to work overtime as required
- Must maintain positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, clients, and customers
We love people who want to:
- Build strong relationships through transparency, trust, and respect for each other.
- Work in an agile environment, with a resilient mindset to find creative solutions to challenges.
- Collaborate and celebrate diverse perspectives, promoting inclusivity and equality.
- Do the right thing with strong conviction and integrity.
- Be bold and innovative to help make an impact.
- Provide quality work on tight deadlines
- Demonstrable track record of working autonomously and driving progress
If you thrive in a dynamic environment, and like working with happy, authentic, talented people, you’ll enjoy a career with Palomar!
What will you get in return:
- Full Suite of Medical Benefits
- Long Term Financial Incentives – STOCK!
- 401k with 3% automatic Employer Contributions
- Competitive PTO + Holiday Program
- Hybrid Work Environment
- Work From Home Stipend
- Professional Development Assistance
- Headspace Paid Subscription
- Career Exploration Opportunities
- Regular company-wide social events (even virtually!)
- To learn more visit us at www.plmr.com
Diversity at Palomar:
At Palomar, we are committed to diversity, equality and inclusion in all facets of the organization. We have built an open culture that celebrates the diversity of our workforce, while actively championing equality and inclusion practices that make us a company people want to work with and work for.
We believe that diversity, equality and inclusion yields greater organizational creativity and productivity, which helps us serve our customers and partners more effectively. Delivering on our diversity commitment returns greater value to our shareholders and ultimately makes a positive impact to the communities in which we do business and to the people who live in them
Palomar will consider reasonable accommodations to ensure a qualified applicant with a disability can be considered for the position. Palomar will also consider necessary modifications to the physical work environment, or to the way a job is usually performed, so an individual with a disability can perform the essential functions of the position. Additional accommodations will be considered that enable an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment like those that are enjoyed by other employees without disabilities.
For more information about our company, visit us at www.plmr.com. Palomar is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls or agency solicitation, please.
Pay Range: $42,500 – $65,000
The above pay range is for all US-based roles based on function and level, benchmarked against companies of similar size and scope. To be compliant with local legislation as well as provide greater transparency to candidates, we disclose salary ranges on all job postings regardless of the desired job location. We also offer a competitive annual discretionary bonus program and the opportunity for annual long-term incentive stock grants. In addition, we offer a highly competitive benefits package. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including candidate experience and qualifications, and may vary from the amounts listed above.