Palomar is an innovative insurer and managing general agency that focuses on the provision of specialty property insurance for residential and commercial clients. Palomar’s underwriting and analytical acumen allow it to concentrate on certain markets that it believes are underserved by other insurance companies, such as the markets for earthquake, wind, and flood insurance.
Palomar is a growing insurance provider that is building an extraordinary business around an exceptional team of employees. As a result, we are seeking both experienced professionals and recent college graduates who are up to the challenge of helping us build a unique brand in the insurance business. If you are looking to thrive in a dynamic work environment where your contributions will be recognized and rewarded, we would like to talk to you about joining our collaborative, energetic, and hard-working team.
We are currently seeking to fill the following position:
Job Title: Business Analyst
Primary Location: La Jolla, CA, Mission Viejo, CA, Minneapolis, MN, or Remote
Schedule: Full Time
The Business Analyst will be responsible for both the requirement gathering and product planning. This includes managing the product through its lifecycle, working closely with the stakeholders to prioritize, gather, and document the business requirements and work with scrum team to deliver quality products and features.
Responsibilities and Essential Duties include but are not limited to:
· Act as liaison between Program Managers, Project Managers, Underwriting, Marketing, Accounting, and Operations teams as appropriate.
· Collaborate with stakeholders, SMEs, and developers through various formats to ensure implementations and designs meet usability specifications.
· Conducts and facilitates effective project meetings including requirements gathering, bug triage, and story refinement.
· Participate and support the scrum team by acting as the Product Owner.
· Gather and document quality user stories with detailed acceptance criteria and supporting documentation.
· Decompose high-level concepts and information into detailed, workable epics and user stories.
· UX and High-Level UI design skills to present concepts back to business and R&D teams.
· Work with stakeholders to define the product vision and roadmap.
· Provide backlog management and sprint planning.
· Provide presentations to stakeholders regarding requirements, sprint summary, and roadmap status.
· Provide clarification concerning business requirements throughout the project.
· Work with QA to define testing strategy and identify use cases.
· Participate in monitoring and approval of QA test cases.
· Coordinate with operations to conduct UAT.
· Coordinate release activities which includes preparing the change management process, release notes, end user guides and smoke testing strategies.
· Demonstrate accuracy, thoroughness and attention to detail at all times; look for ways to improve and promote quality; apply feedback to improve performance; monitor own work to ensure quality.
· Pursue training and development opportunities; strive to continuously build knowledge and skills; share expertise with others.
· Volunteer readily and undertake self-development activities; seek increased responsibilities and take ownership of tasks at hand; take independent actions and calculated risks; take advantage of opportunities but asks for and offers help when needed.
· Display original thinking and creativity while meeting challenges with resourcefulness; generate suggestions for improving work; develop innovative approaches and ideas; present ideas and information in a manner that gets others’ attention.
Requirements/Professional Experience and Qualifications:
· 3 to 5 years of relevant professional experience including previous working experience as a Business Analyst or Product Owner for 2+ years preferred
· Insurance or Financial Services experience preferred
· 2+ years of experience in Agile and Scrum principles, CSPO or CSM certification a plus
· Strong problem solving, communication, and analytical skills
· Understanding of software design concepts and techniques
· Outstanding written/verbal communication, presentation, and leadership skills
· Highly organized, detail oriented, self-motivated, and be a self-starter in a fast-paced environment with demanding internal and external deadlines
· Excellent time management skills, with strong ability to juggle multiple priorities
· Proven ability to deliver quality results in a rigorous and dynamic business environment.
· Intermediate level skill in MS Office, particularly in Excel (pivot tables, vlookup, formulas, queries) preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
Palomar offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes but is not limited to: Medical, Dental, Vision, Company-paid Life and AD&D Insurance, Company-Paid Long Term Disability benefits, Annual and Long-Term Financial Incentives, 401(k) Retirement Plan (with Company-paid Contributions), Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays, Professional Development Assistance, Paid Parking and more.
Palomar will consider reasonable accommodations to ensure a qualified applicant with a disability can be considered for the position. Palomar will also consider necessary modifications to the physical work environment, or to the way a job is usually performed, so an individual with a disability can perform the essential functions of the position. Additional accommodations will be considered that enable an employee with a disability to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment like those that are enjoyed by other employees without disabilities.
Palomar is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal opportunities for employment and advancement to all qualified individuals, regardless of race (including traits associated with race), color, creed, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, age, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, genetic information or characteristics, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other consideration or characteristic made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
Disclaimer: This job description is designed to provide a general overview of the requirements of the job and does not entail a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities that will be required in this position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.